Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 |  60–61  62–63  64–65  66–67  68–69  | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

62

Abner H. Gross

ABNER H. GROSS

The city’s leading confectioner and deputy city commissioner, was born at Hazleton, Pa., a son of the late W.H.S. and Louisa Gross. After receiving his early education in the public schools of Allentown, he entered the employ of John M. Stever, cigar-box manufacturer of that city, operating the first nail machine of its kind introduced in America. In 1885 he came to South Bethlehem where he engaged in the manufacture of cigars at No. 25 East Fourth Street, succeeding W.H. Jacobs. Five years later he disposed of his interests to engage in the present business at No. 109 West Fourth Street. Here Mr. Gross has established the finest store of its kind in the city. Mr. Gross has always taken a keen interest in public affairs, having represented the Second Ward in Council for a term of nineteen years, eight of which he occupied the president’s chair, and during the greater part of that time was Acting Burgess of the Borough of South Bethlehem. He is a member of all the Masonic bodies, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Northampton Club, and was organizer of the Jacksonian Democratic Club. Mr. Gross is also a director of the E.P. Wilbur Trust Company and the Chamber of Commerce, and was recently appointed assessor by Mayor Johnston.

 


63

Theodore Goodman

THEODORE GOODMAN

One of the city’s youngest businessmen, was born 27 years ago, in Russia, a son of Solomon and Jennie Goodman and came to America at the age of 11 years with his parents, locating in South Bethlehem. He attended the public schools and business college, and in 1910 established in the furniture and house-furnishing business at No. 523 East Third Street. He proved himself a thorough business man and in a short time his store was entirely too small, with the result that he took possession of the upper floors of the Hoffman Building, at Nos. 30—32 East Third Street. He enjoys a liberal patronage and recently leased the Kresge Department Store at Fourth and New Streets. He is active in all civic affairs and is a member of Hobah Lodge, No. 269, Knights of Pythias; Y.M.H.A.; Chamber of Commerce and Jacksonian Democratic Association. On January 6, 1914, he married Dora R., daughter of Mr. & Mric I. Iscovitz, of Reading, Pa.

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–2930–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 |  60–61  62–63  64–65  66–67  68–69  | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–127

Return to Community Life