Bethlehem Area Public Library

Return to Community Life

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–29 | 30–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–129 |  130–131  132–133  134–135  136–137  138–139  | 140–151

136

Isidor Reiner Jewelers and Bethlehem Spark Plug ads

 


137

[Advertisement]

Lehigh Valley Hotel

Lehigh Valley Hotel

S.W. Cor. W. 2nd St. and Northampton Ave.
SOUTH BETHLEHEM, PA

This property was designed and built in 1860 by some of the Wolle family of Bethlehem, Pa. The first landlord being Simeon Deeter, who later built the Lapierre Hotel, East Second Street; followed by Tobias Lynn, Napoleon Gauff, Jacob Harwi, James Moritz, August Long, Frank Young, John Rankey; the latter, together with his wife in 1881, sold the property of Henry Dietrich and wife, who took possession on April 3rd, 1882. Henry Dietrich remaining proprietor to his death. He was succeeded as proprietor by his widow who later relinquished same to her oldest son, the late B.W. Dietrich, who will be remembered as the blind landlord of the Lehigh Hotel, South Bethlehem, Pa., who was noted for his sagacity and self-helpfulness in spite of his affliction. Since his death the proprietorship has been taken up by his brother, H.A.R. Dietrich, who continues in this capacity, aided by his sister who conducts the household affairs in which capacity she is well known and has been connected with since the family’s advent here.

The buildings have been much enlarged and modernized, a feature of the premises being a large Hotel Barn that caters to the team and farming trade.

The father of the present proprietor was the great-grandson of Philip Dietrich, who sailed from Alsace Alsace, Germany, landing in Philadelphia on September 30th, 1754, who settled in Manheim Township, Lancaster County, Pa., and who in 1754 was the largest land-owner on the taxable list in that township. His remains rest in the early grave on the family burial plot on the farm as was then the custom and which by the number of graves indicated represented a numerous following, all of which will ere many years be encroached upon by the growth of the city of Lancaster.

The present proprietor being a great-great-grandson of the original of this branch in America.

 

Title–9 | 10–19 | 20–29 | 30–39 | 40–49 | 50–59 | 60–69 | 70–79 | 80–89 | 90–99 | 100–109 | 110–119 | 120–129 |  130–131  132–133  134–135  136–137  138–139  | 140–151

Return to Community Life